As you already know, I’m all about the quick and easy recipes. So when Mrs. Dash asked to sponsor 30-Minute Martha to share their low-sodium cooking tips and recipes, I was all, “Uh, duh!” (Yes, that’s the California girl in me coming out). Mrs. Dash = 30-Minute Martha? HELLO???
I am proud to be a Mrs. Dash ambassador this month on behalf of TwitterMoms, and to kick it off, I’d like to offer up a tasty and easy recipe for your eating pleasure.
Quick Brown Rice and Barley
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash® Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend
- 1 cup raw brown rice (I like organic long-grain)
- 1/2 cup pearl barley (organic if you can get it)
- 1 tsp. olive oil (here’s one case where more expensive typically is better)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. butter (yeah, organic if you can swing it)
- Cook the brown rice and barley as indicated on the package. (typically takes about 40 minutes — I’m not counting that in my 30-minute meal prep time because you can do other things like de-clutter the kitchen, annoy your kids, or watch CSI while you’re waiting).
- Heat olive oil in small skillet, add onion and garlic and saute until tender.
- Combine brown rice, barley, onion mixture, Mrs. Dash® Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend, and butter. Serve warm.
I like to use this as a base for chicken. Tastes great and full of heart-healthy whole grains. Yay, you!
P.S. Want more fab Mrs. Dash low-sodium recipes? Pop over here!
P.P.S. Disclosure: Monetary compensation has been received in exchange for promotional consideration. For more information please see the Mrs. Dash/TwitterMoms ambassador program.Tweet