I was reading through my July/August issue of Everyday Food (you DO get Everyday Food, don’t you?), and there was a little feature on “The 50 Ways of Summer,” listing “two months’ worth of fun, food, and favorite summertime traditions.” I thought it would be fun to do my own little list of the “30 Things You MUST Do This Summer!” (unless, of course, you have better ideas, in which case I encourage you to ditch my list and use your own). But all the same… here are some ideas to get you started:
1. Eat popsicles on the front porch, in weather so hot that the popsicle is melting faster than you can lick it.
2. Stay up late watching movies, just because no one has to get up early to go to school the next day.
3. Go to a minor league baseball game and take part in all the goofy between-inning entertainment, like bingo, running bases, and t-shirts being shot from slingshots.
4. Make taco salad on a night when cooking is just too much work (I’ll share my recipe in a few days).
5. Go to a farmers’ market and make dinner with what you bring home.
6. Go swimming at night.
7. Have a picnic in your backyard.
8. Eat hot dogs from the backyard grill.
9. Read at least one junky beach read with no “nutritional” value whatsoever.
10. Go to the children’s museum.
11. Run through the sprinklers.
12. Take a day trip to a local attraction that you’ve never explored before.
13. Have fresh corn on the cob with dripping butter, salt, and pepper (extra points if you use those little corn-shaped prongs to hold the ears with).
14. Go to a garage sale (or hold one of your own) and find something you just can’t live without.
15. Spend one whole day in your pajamas.
16. Swing on the swings at the playground.
17. Go for a bike ride and have ice cream at the end.
18. Discover a new children’s book that you and your kids fall in love with.
19. Stalk the ice cream truck.
20. Go to a matinee movie and eat too much popcorn.
21. Buy a new pair of flip flops (decorate them if you please!).
22. Read at least one copy of People, US, or OK! cover-to-cover to catch up on all your celebrity gossip.
23. Have a family game night.
24. Sleep outside underneath the stars (don’t forget the bug spray!).
25. Go wading in a creek.
26. Have a drink with a parasol.
27. Find the perfect little summer dress.
28. Make s’mores.
29. Host a sleepover at your house (we’re doing this tonight).
30. Grow something in your garden (I’m working on our 30-minute garden. The rabbits have been eating everything!).
What about you? What’s on your Must-Do list?Tweet